1. Do I have to complete an online application form?
    The online application form is the only way for students holding a foreign first-level degree to submit their documents for admission to the Communication Engineering master course.

  2. In the English Proficiency field of the online application form, it is possible to “upload a document certifying the medium of instruction of your University”. What document do you need?
    Any official document provided by the University which issued your first-level degree stating that the program you graduated from used English as the medium of instruction.

  3. I still do not have the Bachelor’s degree. The online application form allows me to apply provided that I upload some “supporting document indicating that the Bachelor is expected before the application deadline set by the Italian Embassy”. When is such a deadline?
    The deadline is not set by us. Please contact the Italian Embassy in your country as early as possible. Be aware of early deadlines (typically early spring).

  4. Regarding the previous question, what kind of document do I need to provide?
    Any official document provided by the University which issued your first-level degree stating that your Bachelor is expected within the deadline set by the Italian Embassy in your country.

  5. The online application form accepts only pdf files, but I have documents in other formats. What can I do?
    You can convert your documents to pdf using any available tool. For example, there are many websites that offer free online conversion to pdf from almost any format.

  6. Can I apply after the application deadline by sending my document by email?
    No. We do not accept late applications.

  7. What is the “Maximum possible final grade of the Bachelor” in the online application form?
    It is the highest possible grade of the Bachelor’s degree (the one issued to the best possible student).

  8. What is the transcript required in the application form?
    The transcript is a copy of the student’s permanent academic record. The transcript must contain a list of all your passed exams, the corresponding grades earned, and the workload required by each course. It must also specify the units used to describe the involved quantities, specifically the grade points, the passing thresholds, the classroom hours, and the assigned credits. Students can request their University to issue a transcript record of their career.

  9. What is the Grade Point Average (GPA) in the online application form?
    The GPA, or cumulative GPA, is the average of all the grade points received by a student in his/her university career. The range of GPA values must be specified by its maximum possible value. See GPA for more information.

  10. How do you define the “Length of Study”?
    It is the official nominal duration (in years) of your first-level University degree. Do not confuse it with the actual time you needed to complete your University studies.

  11. In the online application form there is a note near the address line indicating “To be used in the pre-enrollment statement for the Italian Embassy/Consulate”. What do you mean?
    In case your application is successful, the address entered by the student here will appear in the pre-enrollment statement for the Italian Embassy. It is very important to check its correctness to avoid possible problems with the Embassy.

  12. Which courses does Communication Engineering offer?
    The Master of Science in Communication Engineering is designed for candidates from different academic backgrounds and aims to provide a thorough grounding in the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) area. A complete list of the courses is available at the  course programme page of our website.

  13. In your educational syllabus there are some elective courses. What does it mean?
    The course program is composed of a number of mandatory courses (those explicitly listed in the First year and Second year tables), and  Elective (or “choice”) courses, to be selected from two menus: Elective Complementary Courses (Menu 1) from which you typically select 2 courses for a total of not less than 12 CFU (e.g., 6CFU + 6CFU, or 6CFU + 9CFU), and Elective Courses (Menu 2) from which you typically select 2 more courses for a total of not less than 12 CFU (e.g., 6CFU + 6CFU, or 6CFU + 9CFU). The courses listed in Menu 2 are “suggested” courses, but Elective Courses can indeed be freely chosen from any university of Parma course in any discipline, provided that the course contents are deemed by the faculty committee to be consistent with the course target requirements. If the course you wish to take is not listed, then you will have to file a personalized study plan and the faculty committee will approve/reject your plan proposal. Students are required to finalize their study plans by the end of the month of November, which gives you enough time to gather information and make an informed choice.

  14. I observed that the amount of work in each course is measured in credits. What is the meaning of a credit?
    One credit is defined as approximately 25 hours of student average study workload, of which at least 8 hours of classroom teaching.

  15. What kind of examinations will I have to take in Communication Engineering?
    Both written and oral examinations are possible, depending on the course. A written exam is generally based on problem-solving. A course may also include assignments such as projects, homeworks, and written reports.

  16. How do I get to the University and its main offices?
    The Department is located on the University Campus (Science Area Park). Most instructors have their offices in building 2 in the campus area. The central offices are in the city center. The registry office for registration and payments is in the campus area.

  17. How do I contact the University?
    The reference email addresses for any information are comm.eng@unipr.it (admission committee) and seging@unipr.it (registrar office). After your pre-registration at the Italian Embassy has been completed, the former must be used for further information on the course program. The latter must be used for information on the final steps of your onsite application process.

  18. What are the term dates for the Master of Science in Communication Engineering?
    We accept pre-applications submitted before the deadline indicated on the website. Onsite matriculations are accepted from the second half of July to mid-September. Classes usually start in the last week of September, so students must plan to be in Parma well ahead to have time to settle down (finding an apartment may be a long search)  BEFORE the beginning of classes. More precise calendar dates can be found on the course web page.

  19. What do you mean by “medium of instruction”?
    We mean the language used in teaching.

  20. Which English language certifications do you accept?
    We require a typical internationally recognized English language proficiency certification, such as IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, Cambridge Exam, etc., with a level of at least B2 according to CEFR. Alternatively, we/the embassy need  official evidence that the student achieved the Bachelor’s degree in a program that used English as the medium of instruction. This can be written explicitly in your transcript (“medium of instruction: English”) or if you don’t have it in the transcript  you may get an explicit medium of instruction certificate from your school. Conversion tables among various certification systems are available online, e.g., at this link.

  21. Do I have to take an admission test to apply for the Master of Science?
    No, admissions are based only on your academic achievements.  The admission procedures are detailed in the course web page.

  22. Can I be admitted even if I do not meet the English requirements, under condition that I take an English course in Parma?
    No, the English requirement must be satisfied before onsite registration.

  23. Can I visit the University?
    Yes. We suggest contacting comm.eng@unipr.it in advance to arrange for a meeting. The best time to visit the University is during the Open Days. For more information, please visit www.unipr.it.

  24. How do I get to the University?
    The closest international airports to Parma are “Milano Linate”, “Milano Malpensa”, Bologna “G. Marconi” airport and Bergamo “Orio al Serio” airport. Parma can be easily reached from the airport by train. You can reach our department from the railway station by bus (numbers 7, 14, 21 or “campus express”).

  25. Where can I find more information about general facilities?
    Please visit the services and facilities reference page and read the welcome package document.

  26. How do I find suitable accommodation?
    You can contact the University Welcome Office for further information and assistance. We summarized the information at this page.

  27. Which documents do I need to enter Italy?
    Non-EU citizens need a Visa issued by the Italian Embassy in their country and a valid passport. To live in Italy with a student visa, non-EU citizens have to apply for a residence permit (Permesso di soggiorno) within 8 days of their arrival. Detailed information can be found on the foreign ministry website.

  28. Is there a pre-application fee?
    No, there is no pre-application fee.

  29. Do you have any facilities for students with disabilities?
    The University of Parma provides qualified assistance to students with disability to provide them equal opportunities to access the benefits, rights, and privileges of University services. For more information visit the Disabled students’ Office.

  30. Which sports facilities are available?
    Our Department and Teaching areas are located in a campus with several sports facilities like tennis, football, golf, athletics, swimming, basketball, gym. Students have special discounts to use the sports facilities. For more information visit www.cusparma.it.

  31. When and how must I send my academic records to the University? Where can I find an overview of the courses?
    On the course webpage, there is a complete list of all the courses, their contents, and relevant information.

  32. Can you provide me with accommodation?
    The University of Parma, and in particular the Welcome Office (U.O. Internazionalizzazione – AO Accoglienza, Erasmus and International Home), may provide enrolled students with support in finding a suitable accommodation. This support does not affect or prevent the student’s right to access services and support guaranteed by the “Diritto allo Studio” and by the Regional Association for the Right to Higher Studies (Er.Go.). More information can be found on the accommodation web page.
    A general statement about accommodation assistance at the University of Parma is available here.

  33. How much does it cost to live in Parma?
    As a general guideline, the rent for a student room starts from about 300-350 euros/month (excluding bills), a meal in the University canteen is about 7 euros, the Internet is around  10 euros/month on your cell phone, the 1-year bus ticket is around 190 euros. More information is available at the cost of living reference page.

  34. How can I prepare myself at best before the classes start?
    We recommend reviewing fundamental concepts in:
    – Probability, random variables, and stochastic processes
    – Signals, systems, and Fourier transform methods
    – Fundamentals of communication systems
    – Fundamentals of electromagnetism. Examples of classical books on these topics are the following:
    – A. Papoulis, Probability, random variables and stochastic processes, McGraw-Hill
    – A. B. Carlson and Paul B. Crilly, Communication systems, McGraw Hill
    – A. V. Oppenheim and A. S. Willsky, Signals and Systems, Pearson
    – A. V. Oppenheim and R. Schafer, Discrete-Time Signal Processing, Pearson
    – F. T. Ulaby, Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetism, Pearson
    – J. D. Kraus and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas for All Applications, McGraw Hill.

  35. Can you suggest any online resources to help me re-enforce my preparation?
    As a light primer, one can read the following Wikipedia pages:
    – Fundamentals of Math:
    Vector space, Matrix, Calculus, Vector calculus, Taylor series
    – Probability, random variables and stochastic processes:
    Probability theory, Random variable, Probability distribution, Independence (probability theory), Expected value, Variance, Covariance, Central Limit theorem, Stochastic process, Law of total probability, Bayes’ theorem, Autocorrelation, Power spectral density
    – Signals, systems and Fourier transform methods:
    Signal (electrical engineering), Linear time-invariant theory, Fourier transform, Convolution
    – Fundamentals of communication systems:
    Modulation, Telecommunication, Matched filter, Intersymbol interference, Bandwidth (signal processing), Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem, Nyquist ISI criterion, bit error rate
    – Fundamentals of electromagnetism:
    Electric field, Magnetic field, Classical electromagnetism, Wave.We also suggest following online courses on the above topics at MIT and at khanacademy.

  36. I received a pre-enrollment statement from the University of Parma. What do I have to do now?
    Your next steps are summarized at the following page.

  37. What is the DOV?
    The declaration of value (DOV) is an official document issued by the Italian Embassy in the country of the applicant. The DOV certifies an academic or professional qualification obtained in an institution belonging to an educational system other than the Italian one. For instance, the DOV certifies the legal status and the duration of the study program, and the institution in which the applicant obtained the Bachelor.

  38. CIMEA statement of Comparability: an alternative to DOV

    The CIMEA Statement of Comparability is a payment service provided online at www.cimea.it/EN/. It is a certification of validity of your BS diploma and provides a comparison to equivalent Italian qualifications. It is an alternative to DOV in cases where your embassy does not have time/resources to release the DOV, or if the waiting times for the DOV are too long.  The procedure is done exclusively online. Go to https://cimea.diplo-me.eu/cimea/#/auth/login and register as a user.
    In your profile, check the required documents by selecting “INFO” > “Required Documents”. When ready, proceed and submit your application by clicking on “SERVICES” > “Comparability”. (You must attach your translated high school diploma and personal ID documents). CIMEA provides two kinds of services – an urgent and a standard one. The standard one costs 150€ and is issued within 30 working days. The urgent one has double cost and issues the document within 15 working days. The CIMEA certificate is normally delivered to you online.

  39. DIPLOMA SUPPLEMENT: another alternative to DOV

    If you have a Diploma Supplement of your Bachelor issued by an institution in a member state of the European Union, then we accept it in place of the DOV.

  40. Do I need the DOV to apply for my visa?
    You only need to submit a DOV when you finalize your matriculation at the registry office (segreteria studenti) in Parma, provided that all the documents certified by the Embassy through the DOV are identical to those submitted in your online LMCE pre-application form. As far as we are concerned, you can apply for the VISA without the DOV (a director statement letter on this fact is available here for you to print and attach to your Universitaly application). Please, note that getting the DOV may take over a month, hence we highly recommend applicants to plan ahead.

  41. I have all of my documents in the English Language so, do I need to translate my documents into the Italian language?
    No, we do accept documents written in English.

  42. I currently live in Italy. What is the procedure to apply to the master’s course?
    EU students, as well as non-EU students with a valid residence permit, may use the online application form as well. However, if accepted, they can matriculate directly at the Campus Registry Office with the pre-enrollment statement.

  43. Do you have any scholarships for foreign students?
    Please refer to the scholarships reference page. Using the same application procedure to ERGO scholarships, you can apply for full or partial exemption to University taxes.

  44. Can I start in the second semester?
    No, we do not accept students starting in the second semester.

  45. What are the term dates for the next Academic year?
    The academic year is divided into two semesters. The first semester runs from the end of September to the end of December. The second semester runs from the end of February to the end of May. Exams take place in the remaining months.

  46. I cannot attend the first lectures. Is it a problem?
    We strongly recommend all students to attend classes from the very first lecture. Past experience shows clearly that students who missed the first lectures experienced very significant problems and delay in their university career and often failed to achieve their final degree. Independent study is a key enabler of student learning if used as a complement to active lecture attendance, but it is largely insufficient on its own. Active participation in lectures is a necessary condition for effective learning as, in particular, the students have the opportunity to understand key points and benefit from interaction with the instructor and other students. This is extremely important for all the students, but even more so for foreign students who must get acquainted with a new study system, method, and environment. To allow students still waiting for their VISA to follow classes, we also broadcast our compulsory classes online on the Microsoft Teams platform, info at https://communication-eng.unipr.it/index.php/joining-online-classes/.

  47. I’m enrolled in the Master of Science in Communication Engineering at Parma and I’m ready to reach Italy with all the necessary documents. When should I come?
    We strongly suggest that you reach Parma by the end of August. Once you settled in Parma and completed your onsite matriculation, you may contact us in person for suggestions on how to best undertake your academic career.

  48. I will soon graduate. Can I submit my online pre-application meanwhile?
    Yes, provided you will receive your Bachelor’s degree before the deadline set by the Italian Embassy in your country (Typically the end of the year). A certification from your University or by a reference professor is mandatory in the pre-application. Your pre-application is processed and, if successful, it is accepted with a conditional pre-enrollment statement.

  49. I was accepted in the previous academic year, but I could not attend your courses. Can I use the pre-enrollment statement for this academic year?
    Yes. You have to write to the director (alberto.bononi@unipr.it) by attaching your past pre-enrollment, and he will send you an updated letter of pre-enrollment.

  50. Do I need a visa to study in Parma?
    This depends on your nationality and immigration status. More information is available at the Ministry of foreign affairs website.

  51. My Bachelor is not in Communication Engineering. Can I apply as well?
    We generally require a Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree preferably in the information and communication technology (ICT) area. The detailed requirements are specified by the course regulations (Regolamento Didattico). Candidates holding first-level degrees in areas other than ICT can apply as well, especially from other Engineering areas, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science, provided they have the necessary background in:
    – Probability, random variables, and stochastic processes
    – Signals, systems, and Fourier transform methods
    – Fundamentals of communication systems
    – Fundamentals of Electromagnetism.           See also the admission requirements at the page https://communication-eng.unipr.it/index.php/admission-procedures/.

  52. What are the requirements to be admitted to the Master of Science?
    The entry requirements are set by the course regulations (Regolamento Didattico). As a general guideline, specific entry requirements are:
    – Secondary School Diploma obtained after at least 12 years of education
    – Bachelor of Science or equivalent
    – At least 30 European ECTS credits (1 credit = 25 hours of student workload, including at least 8 hours in the classroom) of study in Math, Chemistry, Physics, Probability Theory, Geometry
    – At least 36 credits in Electronics, Electromagnetic Fields, Telecommunications, Computer Science, Robotics
    – At least 12 credits in Electrical Engineering, Mechanics, Economics, Bio-Engineering. See also the section “admission procedures” on the course web page.